cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbrem
Community Participant

Files notifications

I'm wondering if people have found that Files notification (ways to contact) is for students only, or if other members of teaching staff can see it.  Also does renaming a file generate a notification?

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lbrem ​...

This Canvas Guide, How do I set my Notification Preferences?, includes a bit of information included in a linked PDF file that further explains the notifications of "Files" in a course.  You can find details on page 4 of the PDF.  I would assume that teachers could also be notified of "Files", but I don't think re-naming of a file would generate any kind of notification.  Hope this helps!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@lbrem ​,

One aspect of Files notifications, mentioned in the PDF part of the guide  @chofer  helpfully linked, has occasionally concerned instructors at our institution.  Teachers who opt into Files notifications will be notified about files uploaded by other teachers, TAs or designers in courses they teach -- but not about files they uploaded themselves.

Regarding this:

Also does renaming a file generate a notification?

No, not in my experience.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @lbrem ! It's been over a month since we last heard from you. Do the answers from  @chofer  and  @RobDitto  answer your questions about file uploads and notifications? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; however, it will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a single uniquely correct response posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct." Thanks!