Grade Book - Automatic Grading

Jump to solution
DylanMuzyka
Community Member

Our Education system requires the classroom teacher to form an on balanced assessment of the student based on performance standards. As a result the 'automatic grade' may not actually reflect the students end of assessment period grade, its is not as simple as looking at the highest grade or an average. As an administrator is there a way to turn off for all courses the calculated overall grade and just show each individual assessment and its result?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @DylanMuzyka,

If you don't want teachers to be able to override the template, you could use the custom css or javascript options in the theme editor to disable/hide the checkbox on the course settings page.

-Chris

View solution in original post

Hi @SarahMapplegate,

I don't know of any simpler options at this point.  We have various javascript lines in place (https://github.com/cmcasey79/canvas-customizations-by-chris) for our instance to lock down some of the course settings which we don't want teachers to change.  In some cases you can use permissions to alter what's available, but the there is nothing built-in that allows granular control over the individual settings.  I'm a big proponent of granular permissions, but I recognize that even with more granular permissions there is going to be some kind of limit on what gets built in to the system, and I wouldn't expect this one to be part of the base Canvas setup because it's likely going to be very rarely used.

-Chris

View solution in original post