cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmccann1
Community Participant

Grade schemes that are mismatches from the syllabus to the Canvas system

Jump to solution

This is going to be poorly worded, but I'll do the best I can.

Let's say a professor's syllabus says: A = 300 - 285 points, A- = 284 - 270...

I can calculate this to match a Canvas Grading Scheme by, for example, starting with what would be an A, by dividing 270 by 300: 285 / 300 = 0.95 ... which would translate to an A = 100 - 95...

My question is, is there an article on this that makes more sense what I'm trying to say, and that possibly discusses caveats that may be unforeseeable to me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Charles,

The Canvas grading schemes are determined by percentages rather than total points.  So your use of division to determine those percentages is correct.  A guide page which has some good information is here How do I use grading schemes in a course? It doesn't really cover the whole "convert from points to percentage" aspect, but it does give some good examples and show the basics.  You'll find other helpful documents related to this by going to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460  and searching the page for Scheme.

Hope that helps,

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Charles,

The Canvas grading schemes are determined by percentages rather than total points.  So your use of division to determine those percentages is correct.  A guide page which has some good information is here How do I use grading schemes in a course? It doesn't really cover the whole "convert from points to percentage" aspect, but it does give some good examples and show the basics.  You'll find other helpful documents related to this by going to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460  and searching the page for Scheme.

Hope that helps,

Rick

View solution in original post