Gradebook - Formula?

cjlee
Community Novice

Hi,

I am new to Canvas and need some help to design a grade book for the nursing faculty. 

Can someone help me and tell me how to use the formula in gradebook in Canvas? In D2L, I can use the formula to design a grade book for the nursing department.

The faculty needs to have three grades in Canvas: Clinical/Theory/Final Grade.

II. Methods of Evaluating Student Progress

THEORY: Assessments/Quizzes/Exams:  

• 3 Exam Soft Assessments worth 20% each
  • 5 EAQ quizzes/assessments worth 1% each
  • 2 Sherpath-Nutrition (SP-N) Modules worth 5% each (no half-points awarded)
  • Comprehensive Final Theory Assessment: worth 25% (proportionately higher emphasis on units’ 5A & 5B as they will not have been previously tested).

TOTAL = 100% OF THEORY FINAL GRADE 

A student must achieve a minimum of 75% to pass the Theory component of the course; and 75% to pass the Laboratory component of the course; and Pass (of Pass/Fail) the Clinical component of the course. A Failure in any component of the course constitutes a “Failure” in the entire course.

HESI Exam  (points will be added to raw score of Theory Final Exam/Assessment).

HESI score of:

• 000-899   = 0 points
  • 900-949   = 1 point
  • 950-999   = 2 points
  • 1000 + = 3 points

So .... in other words ..... we "add" the Raw score from the HESI to the Final Assessment Exam results. A minimum score of "75" is passing in all Nursing courses. So if a student receives a 72 on their Final Exam (a failure), but then receive an 1100 score on the HESI, that is equal to "3" points added the raw score of 72. So the grade for the Final PLUS HESI would actually be "75", which would mean they would pass the Final. That IS built in to the course grade formula.

If the student receives a 91 (a "B") on their Final Exam, and receives 935 points on the HESI, that translates to 1 additional point added to the raw score on the Final. So their Final PLUS HESI would equal a 92, which would translate to an "A".