Grades automatically changing from missing to none when I put a zero in the gradebook

Jump to solution
mdunham1
Community Member

I just noticed recently that when I would input a zero into an assignment for a student who had not turned in the work it would automatically change the status from "Missing" to "None".  Now when students look for missing work, they do not see those assignments as "Missing".  Is this a feature that can be turned on/off?  This is something that didn't use to happen, and I would like the ability for the assignment to be labeled as missing to help students identify what assignments they need to complete still.

0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

HI @mdunham1 -

This was included with the Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15). Unfortunately, it is not possible for an instructor to enable or disable this feature.

The easiest way to enter 0s and to keep the missing label is to grade all of the work that has been submitted and then set the default grade to 0 for the remaining students. You can always re-instate the label individually, but I understand that requires additional time and effort.

How do I set a default grade for an assignment in the Gradebook? 

View solution in original post