cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sschedler
Community Participant

Grades not visible to students

Jump to solution

My Grades page just started delaying grades being posted.  I now have the "eye with a line through it" icon meaning students can not see their grades to the last two assignments for the semester.  I did not change any settings.  Not sure why this is happening.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Erin. I am having a lot of reports of erratic behavior on this new functionality as well.  I have been trying to send out documentation, but I think the behavior is confusing.  When the grades are set for Manually Post globally (using the Grade Posting Policy), the assignment drop-down does not give you a POST option. You have to go to the Grade Posting Policy for the assignment and set it to Automatically post. This seems to be the only way to actually post grades. Here is a screenshot of an assignment that was set to Manually post:

317343_pastedImage_1.png

You can see that there is no POST option. The only way I could see to post was to change the Grade Posting Policy for that assignment to Automatically Post the grades.

When you use the Hide Grades option, that works as expected. You can Hide grades and then you will be given the choice to Post grades. 

This is very confusing to faculty - and I am even having a hard time documenting and explaining the behavior.

We are also seeing variations in how the policy was applied immediately after release.  Based on my testing, I assumed that IF the assignment was muted prior to the update, it would now be set to "manually" post.  I assumed that grades would be "unmuted" by default - and settings could then be applied. This does not appear to be the case.  Right now I am just trying to help people know how to undo what happened and will document my findings as I deal with these case-by-case.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Steven,

This is a behavior related to the new grade post policies feature. Our engineers are looking into it.

The workaround for now is to open the assignment settings, click the Post Policy option, and change the policy to manual. Then select the Post Grades option. All grades will be displayed to your students.

Thanks!

Erin

Hi, Erin. I am having a lot of reports of erratic behavior on this new functionality as well.  I have been trying to send out documentation, but I think the behavior is confusing.  When the grades are set for Manually Post globally (using the Grade Posting Policy), the assignment drop-down does not give you a POST option. You have to go to the Grade Posting Policy for the assignment and set it to Automatically post. This seems to be the only way to actually post grades. Here is a screenshot of an assignment that was set to Manually post:

317343_pastedImage_1.png

You can see that there is no POST option. The only way I could see to post was to change the Grade Posting Policy for that assignment to Automatically Post the grades.

When you use the Hide Grades option, that works as expected. You can Hide grades and then you will be given the choice to Post grades. 

This is very confusing to faculty - and I am even having a hard time documenting and explaining the behavior.

We are also seeing variations in how the policy was applied immediately after release.  Based on my testing, I assumed that IF the assignment was muted prior to the update, it would now be set to "manually" post.  I assumed that grades would be "unmuted" by default - and settings could then be applied. This does not appear to be the case.  Right now I am just trying to help people know how to undo what happened and will document my findings as I deal with these case-by-case.

View solution in original post

skinne
Community Participant

We are also witnessing erratic behavior related to the hide grades feature. Is there a way to change the grade posting policy for an entire course? Is there a reason the muting feature has been removed?

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Sarah - Behavior is erratic immediately following the release, but we have learned that the "unshaded" slashed-eye icon means that the grading policy for either the course or the assignment has been set to "Manually Post."  In order to change that, you must use the Grade Settings Policy at the individual assignment level. Change it to Automitic and the grades will post.

The Hide grades option is pretty similar to Mute.  This is an option for an assignment. Just click Hide Grades and then you will have an option to Post Grades when you are ready  This is indicated with a red/orange slashed eye icon. 

erinhallmark -- Has anyone seen a slashed eye next to an individual student grade total?? That is now puzzling us.

Hi, Nancy,

This is part of the behavior our engineers are reviewing. If the course policy is set in Gradebook settings to automatic, you shouldn't see that icon. So your solution is a good workaround for now.

thanks,

Erin

Thank you, Erin. Do you have any idea why the Final score on a small number of students has the slashed-eye icon?

They're working on fixing that, too. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the continued updates on this one erinhallmark, our folks were seeing it as well and it was super helpful to have already seen your post and have a workaround for them ready as soon as they asked the question!

skinne
Community Participant

Hi Erin,

Might you have any idea why, if this new feature has confirmed bugs (according to comments on many threads in the community), there's no corresponding report on status.instructure.com? This situation is quite frustrating, and it would help to be able to point instructors to the status site to read Canvas's official position on the issue and to get any updates on the fix (including a timeline).

Thanks!