Grades not visible to students

Jump to solution
sschedler
Community Novice

My Grades page just started delaying grades being posted.  I now have the "eye with a line through it" icon meaning students can not see their grades to the last two assignments for the semester.  I did not change any settings.  Not sure why this is happening.  

1 Solution

Hi, Erin. I am having a lot of reports of erratic behavior on this new functionality as well.  I have been trying to send out documentation, but I think the behavior is confusing.  When the grades are set for Manually Post globally (using the Grade Posting Policy), the assignment drop-down does not give you a POST option. You have to go to the Grade Posting Policy for the assignment and set it to Automatically post. This seems to be the only way to actually post grades. Here is a screenshot of an assignment that was set to Manually post:

317343_pastedImage_1.png

You can see that there is no POST option. The only way I could see to post was to change the Grade Posting Policy for that assignment to Automatically Post the grades.

When you use the Hide Grades option, that works as expected. You can Hide grades and then you will be given the choice to Post grades. 

This is very confusing to faculty - and I am even having a hard time documenting and explaining the behavior.

We are also seeing variations in how the policy was applied immediately after release.  Based on my testing, I assumed that IF the assignment was muted prior to the update, it would now be set to "manually" post.  I assumed that grades would be "unmuted" by default - and settings could then be applied. This does not appear to be the case.  Right now I am just trying to help people know how to undo what happened and will document my findings as I deal with these case-by-case.

View solution in original post