Grading Quiz that has restricted student use

Jump to solution
ajw13
Community Participant

Hello,

What I am experiencing seems unbelievably unproductive and inefficient that I can only hope that I am overlooking something, and if not that this is corrected in New Quizzes (my institution is currently using Classic due to the myriad of issues associated with New).  

I created an exam using Classic Quizzes which I assigned to the entire class.  Due to some VPN issues for international students, I had to offer an alternative time.  I set the exam for only those students to access during this make up time.  Since the other students completed the exam, I figured I would grade those already submitted.  Low and behold when I clicked Speed Grader the only exams available were for students in the make up category!  Hmmm, thought I, well let's look at the grade book.  Maybe there I can access the submitted exams.  But to my surprise the submissions are not available in the gradebook - all students not in the make up group have empty cells for the midterm.

Please tell me I am missing something here.  Otherwise, this configuration is nonsensical.

Andy

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @ajw13 

When you limited the exam to just that special group of VPN users, you overwrote the availability for the rest of your users. You should have left the quiz as " Assigned to everybody",  then added an "Assign to" the special VPN Group. You would need to first create a separate section for the VPN group. Depending on the permissions your school has set for instructors in Canvas, you may need your school's Canvas support folks to help you create a section for the VPN students.

This guide will show you how: How do I assign a quiz to a course section?

And you might need this one: How do I edit sections for an enrollment in a course?

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes