Highest Score Drop

Jump to solution
ammar_siddiqui
Community Member

Hi,

I have created an assignment group in which I have created a rule to drop the highest score. Below are the details of marks.

Assignment 1                           Assignment 2

Max Marks: 100                      Max Marks: 24

Obtain Marks: 65%                Obtain Marks: 50%

But Canvas drops the 50% marks assignment instead of 65% marks assignment, however the highest is 65%.

Please help me out of this calculation of canvas.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

@ammar_siddiqui -

What happens if you remove the never drop assign1 from your rule?  My first thought when I saw that was that was going to be the assignment that should be dropped.  Your second picture shows that is not the case.  I am wondering if that extra rule is causing an issue with what is being dropped.  If so, then it is a bug that Instructure needs to be made aware of.

Everything looks good.  I will set up a test case and try out a few things as well to see if I can duplicate what you see.

Ron

Edit: @ammar_siddiqui - I just duplicated your results by adding in the keep assignment 1.  without always keep the assignment, it works fine.  with it, it does not.  I added a 4th assignment to see if it was always picking the last assignment.  It then worked (or so I thought).  I started playing around with the scores and it was sometimes correct and sometimes not.  

There is definitely an issue there with the keep assignment selected.  Also, I do not know if it is related to the percents as well.  I checked with points and the same strange issues existed as well.

I tried again without the always keep function and ran into issues with it being correct as well with 4 assignments  

View solution in original post

0 Likes

@ammar_siddiqui -

I had some time to think this morning waiting for my son to get ready to go to Aurburn.

I remembered the confusing issue with dropping the lowest grade and how canvas did it.  So I wondered if the highest score was the same.  I don't have time to fully check this out, but here are the steps:

50/50  keep
65/100  can be dropped
12/24  can be dropped

So canvas determines the grade possible by dropping any of the assignments
dropping the 65:  50 + 12 = 62/74 = 83.78
dropping the 12:  50+65 = 115/150 = 76.66

So the 12 is dropped because keeping it is giving the higher grade out of the possible grades of assignments that can be dropped.

The only time this will work the way you expect is if the assignments all have the same weight.

you can play around with the score for the 24 point assignment and find one where the 100 point assignment is dropped - run the percentages and see what it shows

View solution in original post