cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wwalsh
Community Member

How Can I use IPA on Canvas pages?

How can I use IPA symbols in canvas to give my students homework? When giving them feedback or discussing a certain phoneme I can't just copy a schwa from word and insert it into my Canvas page. What do I do?

4 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wendy,

I'm not an expert on this, but when I just tried copying those type of characters from this page into the comment box in SpeedGrader; they worked find for me. I also tried copying some from Word and they also worked fine for me. 

I am on a Macintosh using Google Chrome.  Have you tried using a different web browser or even different computer?  It's possible that somehow in the copy/paste things are getting lost, or that your web browser is not interpreting the text correctly.  Or maybe the font used in Word is not compatible and having the issue.  Just guesses though; I really don't know why it's not working for you.

Rick

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, wwalsh...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on October 18, 2018.  It looks like  @rmurchshafer  provided you with some feedback a day later.  Have you had an opportunity to review Rick's feedback?  If so, did his reply help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that Rick's reply has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from the Community, please let us know by posting a reply below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered' because we have not heard back from you in over five months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about the same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Wendy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't work for me either. I'm using Chrome and trying to copy and past /ɪ/, but it's a no go. Any guidance you can give will be much appreciated.

kjohn113
Community Participant

I'm late to the phonetic alphabet party here, but I too would like to have a way to make IPA characters appear correctly in Canvas.  Single characters generally do, like the aforementioned schwa: [ə] and others I use for Spanish like ʧ ʝ ð β ɣ, among others.  But the combining characters don't come out right at all. Unfortunately, what's supposed to be

phonetic combining symbols examples.JPG

comes out as n̪    au̯.to   al̟.to, with the combining characters askew from the main character.

If I'm writing a quiz question and student answers or the answer options in a multiple choice question don't require these symbols, but my question does, I just write them in Word, take a screenshot, and fit them in. But there's no way to make the symbols work in answer options or elsewhere where I can't insert an image file.  Ideally, I'd just be able to use the combining characters.

Does anyone know of a way to get these characters to come out right? 

Thanks,

Keith