cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shorowitz
Community Participant

How can I extend due dates for some assignments past the due date for one or more students?

Jump to solution

We have a six-week online course module. Due to family circumstances, administration granted a 3-week extension to a student, so that all course work is now due 3 weeks past the original course end date. The instructor has extended the "available" and "due" dates for the assignments in question, for this single student. However, the student is unable to submit work. I removed the "Students can only participate in the course between these dates" restriction in the course's settings and verified that "Restrict students from viewing this course after end date" is not set.

The Submit assignment button does not appear for the student on any assignments, despite the availability and due dates being extended.

How can we allow students to submit work following a course end date?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again,  @shorowitz ‌

Check this box and you are golden................

324155_pastedImage_1.png

Conclusion dates in Canvas can be confusing, because there are so many interactive options. This PDF should help............ https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15402-6795264211?sr=search&searchId=c0844707-67b5-4599-9277... 

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @shorowitz  

Did you also change the end-date for the course? Canvas will ignore those other settings if the course is still set to conclude on a past date.

Let us know, and if it doesn't work include a screen-shot of your course settings page to help us diagnose.

Kelley

shorowitz
Community Participant

I asked the faculty member to change the course end-date and that has not helped.

Student's view of Assignment page:

Student view of assignment page

Course settings:

324148_Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.21.12 AM.png

Assignment settings:

324150_Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.22.34 AM.png

I don't know if this is relevant but our institution is on a self-hosted installation of Canvas.

josephclaytonha
Community Participant

If the term of the Canvas course is specific to a certain time period, you can change any and all settings and it won't do anything if you are outside that period. In other words, if I have a student in a course for the "Spring" term, and I try to extend them into Fall, neither end dates nor assignment dates will fix that. If you have a "Default Term", or any other term that doesn't have dates attached, then you can change your Canvas course to that term for better results. You can change the term in the Settings. 

One of the reasons our institution switched away from our previous LMS was that it had no real concept of semesters and frustrations that resulted. So, putting everything in an untimed semester is not desirable for us. Note that for the course in view of this specific question, the semester end date has not passed and I have adjusted the course end date and and assignment due date, and Canvas still will not allow this student to go back and post work

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again,  @shorowitz ‌

Check this box and you are golden................

324155_pastedImage_1.png

Conclusion dates in Canvas can be confusing, because there are so many interactive options. This PDF should help............ https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15402-6795264211?sr=search&searchId=c0844707-67b5-4599-9277... 

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
shorowitz
Community Participant

Updated course settings:324164_Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.44.38 AM.png

June 2019 term runs through November 1, 2019. The student still cannot submit the assignment. The course originally had an end date of September 14—have we passed the point of no return? Is it now impossible to change the course end date such that a student can submit their work?