How do I make files visible to students?

Jump to solution
margaret_cheney
Community Novice

In my own menu "Files" is greyed out.  The files I've uploaded have a green icon saying that they're published, but my students can't see them.  

What I've been able to find in the documentation says that by default, files are supposed to be visible to everyone in the course.  I don't seem to have any menu items that allow me to modify access.  Any advice?  

2 Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In general I'd recommend adding the files to your course Modules page instead of making Files visible - How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items? 

Yet, to get the Files link to become visible to students you would need to add it to the navigation menu via your course settings. The following directions describe how to do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2555 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

MelissaMiller1
Community Member

Hello all. This is an old thread, but I found it because I was having the same problem. That is, I uploaded a file to Files, but this did not automatically make Files visible to students. Through some trial and error, I discovered that there must be some minimum file size in order to trigger this function and make Files visible to students. So if anyone else is having this problem, just keep adding more files. Once you reach the minimum, Files will automatically become green, not greyed out, and will be visible to students.

View solution in original post