cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atur-prats
Community Member

How do I make the announcement section visible?

Jump to solution

I posted an announcement in the Announcement section but it is not becoming 'visible', i.e. it did not change from light gray to regular darker color. Thank you

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @atur-prats  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

It is simply because that content area is disabled in course navigation, and you have not enabled it.  Fancy way of saying that you need to go to Settings>Navigation>then drag that item up to the top half.  This guide will provide the details https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @atur-prats  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

It is simply because that content area is disabled in course navigation, and you have not enabled it.  Fancy way of saying that you need to go to Settings>Navigation>then drag that item up to the top half.  This guide will provide the details https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

So, basically . . . all I can do is disable?  You mean, I couldn't just hide the Announcements link (or, whichever other link) in order to work on it without students seeing what I'm doing.

@mdunn_adjunct 

Students will not see what you are doing with an announcement until the announcement is actually posted.

Also, even with the Announcements area hidden from students, you can still work in it (post announcement). However, until you make that area available to the students, they will not see your announcments; and in fact, will not even see the Announcements content area.

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

Thanks for the reply.  But, that is my question: How would I make that area unavailable to the students?

(Backstory: I imported a .zip from Blackboard.  Even though I selected to only import quizzes, Canvas also imported all of the announcements.  This will undoubtedly confuse my students.  So, I want to make Announcements invisible, so that I can go through and delete all of the announcements that were {for some reason} also imported.)

Hi again,  @mdunn_adjunct  !

the guide that I share in my first response tells you how to "Hide" the Announcements link from students.  However, if you would like to use the Announcements area, but do not want your students to see a bunch of old Bb announcements, then you can simply delete those.

Kelley

mdunn_adjunct
Community Participant

Thnak you.  Yes, I see how it works now.