How do I "unlock" a file?

Jump to solution
emily_mitchell1
Community Novice

I have loaded instructional videos onto Canvas and they are published.  (Green circle with the check and everything)  When my students try to watch the videos, they get a message that the file "video" is locked.  What can I do?

1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Emily and welcome to the Community!

I believe that the reason your students see the videos as locked has to do with the visibility setting on your course Files which is currently set to not allow students to see.  When I go into student preview in your course and for instance try to look at the videos linked in the 9.2.1 lesson, I get the same message.  However, in my own course I did the following 1. uploaded 9.2.1 Part One to my course files 2. Edited a page in the course and added the 9.2.1 video from the content picker pane on the right side of my screen, 3. Chose to upload 9.2.1 Part Four to the course files right there in the content picker and which also added it to the page I was editing.   In my own course, when in student preview I can see both files.  Part One plays embedded in the page and Part Four downloads and then opens in Quicktime Player.   What steps are you taking to add your videos to the page in your module?

View solution in original post

0 Likes