cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sringsmuth
Community Participant

How do I restrict module items to specific groups?

I have my class do case study analyses while working in groups. How can I create a Case Study module wherein I have a PDF describing Case Study A, and restrict access to that item so that only students in Group A can view it? And the same for Case Study B/Group B, etc. I don't currently see any way to restrict individual Module items or even whole Modules beyond just adding prerequisites which doesn't really do what I need.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

sringsmuth, my recommendation is to try using Mastery Path's for this situation. Specifically, have a quiz where students pick their Case Study Group and then based on that information the correct information is released to them and the information for the other case study remains hidden. For information/directions on how to do this see the following document - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona

RobDitto
Community Champion

Hi sringsmuth. In addition to Kona's great tip, here's an approach we use at Wharton based on course groups‌:

• The PDFs can go in a Files folder with "hidden" restriction (or just in Files generally, if your course design hides that tab from students entirely)
  • Designate your "A", "B",... subsets of the overall course groups.
  • Create a separate differentiated group assignment for "A" group(s), described in How do I assign an assignment to a course group? and the recent GROUPIES: Assignments for Groups CanvasLIVE presentation.  Create another for "B" group(s), etc.
  • Link the "A" case from the assignment done by "A" group(s); link "B" the same way, etc.
  • These should be shown/hidden appropriately to students in their Assignments list, Syllabus and Calendar.  If placed in a Module, without having extensively tested/researched that, I'd suggest that this be a fairly simple module without impossible prerequisites (e.g. "A" progress depends on completing a "B" assignment). That GROUPIES session talks a bit about current limitations of differentiated group assignments.
sringsmuth
Community Participant

Thank you for that information, Kona. I read through the Hacking Mastery Paths example and I think that could work, but I'm not sure how well it would handle situations with more than two options. Do you know if that same quiz-based workflow could accommodate many student groups or is it designed to just work if there are two groups?

You'd have to think through the math of how to get the right number of points, but yes, I think you could figure out a way to make it work for multiple groups. Let me do some thinking and I'll get back to you on this.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ok, just a quick thought. You'd need to have a question for each team/group. So if you have 4 groups then you'd have 4 questions, each question would be worth a different number of points. See example below.

Question 1: Are you on Team 1? (worth 1 point)

Yes - correct

No

Question 2: Are you on Team 2? (worth 2 points)

Yes - correct

No

Question 3: Are you on Team 3? (worth 3 points)

Yes - correct

No

Question 4: Are you on Team 4? (worth 4 points)

Yes - correct

No

Then for your mastery path you'd have a different path for the different point options. So 1 point gets the Team 1 content, 2 points gets the Team 2 content, etc...

Does this make sense? It's not as elegant as just having one question, but until we get the option to set different answer options to be worth different point values (which I think/hope is coming with https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext?sr=search&searchId=ab96e42c-7b7d-48f1-91...‌) this is the best I can come up with.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

So this will work, but you can only have three groups as part of the path - sorry, I never tried to have more than three groups! Yet, you could still get creative and have two quizzes (so six groups) - and each quiz question would still lead to a different path.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

Thanks for all your help with this  @kona  and  @RobDitto ‌, but the more I investigate Canvas (our University is currently on Brightspace/D2L but we're looking in to Canvas) the more I'm shocked that it can't do what seems like pretty basic things like enable group restrictions for content items. I get that there are workarounds, but the attached screenshot shows how each Case Study PDF is only available to a specific group in Brightspace. Doing this requires no workarounds and is easy to explain to an instructor, and these release conditions can be stacked as well so a student might have to belong to a group but also post a discussion thread and receive a grade of >80% on a quiz first. I thought for sure Canvas would have things like this in place but I think my expectations are probably a bit too high.

groups

Video on using Release Conditions:

D2L: Content Release Conditions on Vimeo 

https://vimeo.com/album/3463550/video/132740831

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've also updated the https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona‌ blog to include this information. Thank you for making me think beyond the initial concept! 🙂

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

sringsmuth,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie