Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmascolo

How do I upload letter grades?

Jump to solution

I uploaded grades in a CVS file but my "Course Grade" column is blank -- I just want to post Letter Grades

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rmascolo ‌...

By "Course Grade" column, are you referring to the "Total" column in the Canvas Gradebook that is displayed at the far right side of your "Grades" page (which also, by the way, can be moved to the front of your "Grades" page)?  If so, it's calculating a score (number) based off of the scores your students received from other assignments.  It is possible to also have a grade displayed next to the total score in the "Grades" column...

Gradebook Total Score

...but you do that via a Grading Scheme in your course.  So, for this example, in my sandbox course, I have several dummy assignments set up that I've not yet scored.  Based on the Grading Scheme I've chosen, it has calculated that "F" should be displayed because "F" is in the range of 0% to 67% of total points.  If the total was higher, then a better letter grade would be displayed here.

I've searched the Guides area of the Community, and I've found these documents for you which should be of some help:

How do I use grading schemes in a course? 

How do I view grading schemes in a course? 

How do I enable a grading scheme for a course? 

How do I add a grading scheme in a course? 

I hope this is helpful to you, Richard.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rmascolo ‌...

By "Course Grade" column, are you referring to the "Total" column in the Canvas Gradebook that is displayed at the far right side of your "Grades" page (which also, by the way, can be moved to the front of your "Grades" page)?  If so, it's calculating a score (number) based off of the scores your students received from other assignments.  It is possible to also have a grade displayed next to the total score in the "Grades" column...

Gradebook Total Score

...but you do that via a Grading Scheme in your course.  So, for this example, in my sandbox course, I have several dummy assignments set up that I've not yet scored.  Based on the Grading Scheme I've chosen, it has calculated that "F" should be displayed because "F" is in the range of 0% to 67% of total points.  If the total was higher, then a better letter grade would be displayed here.

I've searched the Guides area of the Community, and I've found these documents for you which should be of some help:

How do I use grading schemes in a course? 

How do I view grading schemes in a course? 

How do I enable a grading scheme for a course? 

How do I add a grading scheme in a course? 

I hope this is helpful to you, Richard.

mrhelmus

How do I upload letter grades? The grades I am uploading do not have a standard point scheme. Basically I need to be allowed to show text in the columns not numbers.

pdaves
Community Member

Me too!

0 Kudos
bowmanr
Community Champion

@pdaves -

in addition to what @nwilson7 mentioned, I believe when you set up assignments with letter grade capabilities, you can create a grading scheme separate from the course scheme to handle the letter grades for the assignment.  That way if you wanted 80-100% to be an A on an assignment, but for the course grade 90-100% is an A would be possible.

0 Kudos
nwilson7
Community Champion

@pdaves I have never tried this with uploading a CSV file but if you want to enter a letter grade in the gradebook, then when you create the assignment, you switch the Display Grade as to "Letter Grade".

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 2.18.15 PM.png

This will use your course grading scheme to ultimately award points based off of that scheme.  It uses the upper end of the grading scale, so for example, you have a 20 point assignment and your grading scheme has 83-89.9% is a B, when you enter a "B" it is going to find out what 89.9% of 20 is and that is the points it will award.

Hope that helps!

-Nick