How do I view mp4's that students claim they submitted through canvas?

Jump to solution
charlesjgray
Community Member

a few students told me they submitted their assignments as MP4's on Canvas but I wasn't able to view it or find it. 

How can a student submit an mp4 through Canvas and how can I view it?

-Charles Gray

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

Hello @charlesjgray   There are a few ways that students can submit mp4s depending on what options you allowed for the submission type.  If you had it set as "Text Entry" then the media upload tool is part of the Rich Content Editor (RCE) so students could use that.  If your institution has Canvas Studio or another media sharing tool, that may also be an option in the RCE.  If you had "File Upload" as a submission type then obviously an mp4 could be the file that they uploaded.  

Regardless of how a student choose to share you the mp4 as an assignment submission they all should be viewable in the SpeedGrader.  When you look at the students' submission, the mp4 will display in the SpeedGrader Viewer.  Mp4s is a file type that Canvas can view natively.  If you are not seeing it, I can think of two reasons.  First while mp4 is a pretty standard video type there are some proprietary codecs that the video will still look like a .mp4 but the encoding on the back end is different and not all systems can read them.  The other reason, which I would think would be more likely, is that is was too big to upload.  So, the student thought it shared but it did not.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post