How to Upload a Rubric made in Microsoft Excel

Jump to solution
RobertHerron
Community Member

Can someone provide instructions on how to upload Rubrics created in Microsoft Excel? Thank you. 

Labels (3)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @RobertHerron ...

@James Jones has created a way to upload a rubric via a spreadsheet to Canvas.  In my former position as a Canvas administrator at a college in Wisconsin, I used his tool a lot, and it saved me so much time.  Here is a link with all his instructions.  You'll need to install a plug-in for Chrome in order to use this.  Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet 

This is just one of many "Canvancements" that James has created, and you can find more of his scripts here: Canvancements - Canvas Enhancements - Instructure Community - 246997 (canvaslms.com)

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Hi @RobertHerron ...

Yeah...that's correct.  You'll create the rubric in Excel following the examples that James has provided, then you'll copy/paste those cells into a text box that James' script creates inside of Canvas.  It will automatically create the rubric for you.  It's pretty slick, and like I said, it has saved me tons of time creating rubric lines one by one.

On a side note, Instructure is working on a rubric redesign, and I wanted to provide you with a couple links.  In the first link, you'll see in Phase 2 of their project that importing rubrics is something that they will be working on for everyone.  So, it may be that James' script becomes obsolete at some point.

I hope this is helpful for you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes