Did you mean: 
textwright
Community Participant

How to add a prerequisite

Jump to solution

prerequisite -- how to add

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Got it,  @textwright  , and it is really quite simple.............

If you organize your content into Modules, and really we all should, then you set rules for your module requiring students to complete the module contents in order. Learn more at How do I add requirements to a module? 

Alternately, you can use two modules where students must complete and assignment in Module A, before being permitted to access module B. You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @textwright  

Add a prerequisite where?

Are you looking for a method to add a prerequisite to a course that would prevent students from enrolling if the prereq is not met?  Canvas does not have this kind of functionality; because, other than open-enrollment or public courses, Canvas is not an enrollment tool and does not have enrollment functionality. Enrollments are typically handled by the school through a separate process.

Or, are you using a Free-for-Teachers version and would like to control enrollments based on a prereq? Canvas still does not have this functionality, but we might be able to suggest a work-round.

If you could elaborate on what you need to accomplish, we might be able to better help you.

Kelley

textwright
Community Participant

Kelley, thanks for the reply. I was simply looking for a way to require one assignment as prerequisite for the next one, so that students cannot skip over skill-building assignments.

Linda Myers

Language and Literature Division

Sacramento City College

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." - Frederick Douglass

"A book is the most effective weapon against intolerance and ignorance." -Lyndon Baines Johnson

Got it,  @textwright  , and it is really quite simple.............

If you organize your content into Modules, and really we all should, then you set rules for your module requiring students to complete the module contents in order. Learn more at How do I add requirements to a module? 

Alternately, you can use two modules where students must complete and assignment in Module A, before being permitted to access module B. You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
textwright
Community Participant

Found it, thanks, Kelley.

Linda Myers

Language and Literature Division

Sacramento City College

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." - Frederick Douglass

"A book is the most effective weapon against intolerance and ignorance." -Lyndon Baines Johnson

Awesome!!!!!!

Glad it worked out.

Kelley