KhalidTantawi

How to allocate a longer time for specific students on quizzes

Jump to solution

This is an urgent matter, some students have disability and apparently Canvas does not accommodate students with disability.

I need to allocate more time for students with disability on homeworks and quizzes. Can you show me how to do that. I will have to abandon canvas altogether after I spent hundreds of hours creating exams and quizzes on this platform, if that cannot be done.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I use Classic Quizzes, and it's very easy to give students extra time or extra attempts. The key is that you have to publish the quiz in order to do this.

1. Publish the quiz
  2. Click on Moderate Quiz
  3. Give individual students more time and/or extra attempts

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JessicaDeanSVC
Community Participant

Hi there! You can use the following guide to provide students extra time on quizzes: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/Once-I-publish-a-quiz-how-do-I-use-the-Moderate-...

If you are using the New Quizzes feature, then follow this guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-accommodations-for-a-student-in-New...

tbirbeck
Community Participant

@KhalidTantawi

Canvas has many features that help teachers differentiate activities and accommodate students' needs.

For assignments, you can have multiple due dates and times. This article from the Canvas Instructor Guide shows you how. The title is a little confusing, but the content will answer your question. Essentially, when creating or editing an assignment, simply click the +ADD link at the bottom of the ASSIGN TO section to add another option, then assign the new option to the appropriate student(s). The EVERYBODY option will change to EVERYBODY ELSE as you pull students out into additional options. (TIP: Not all students will automatically show in the ASSIGN TO dropdown. You may need to key in a few letters of the name to locate the student(s) or section(s). You can also use this method with quizzes.

If quizzes are timed, you can add time for individuals in the MODERATE QUIZ area. Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time? from the Canvas Instructor Guide demonstrates how to do that.

0 Kudos
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I use Classic Quizzes, and it's very easy to give students extra time or extra attempts. The key is that you have to publish the quiz in order to do this.

1. Publish the quiz
  2. Click on Moderate Quiz
  3. Give individual students more time and/or extra attempts