How to grade daily classroom participation

Jump to solution
bteo10
Community Novice

I want to be able to grade students' class participation during each class. I have tried using the Attendance badges, but it does not automatically change the grade once a badge has been added; it is simply for note-taking purposes. I know that I can change the grade manually, but I would prefer a feature that is linked to Gradebook. Does anyone know of a way that I can grade daily classroom participation? Thanks!

2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @bteo10  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Have you considered making daily participation an assignment with a rubric attached to it? You can create a rubric that has a separate row for each day with criteria as straightforward as "Participated" and "Did Not Participate"--or more detailed if you choose--and you can use the SpeedGrader to add points to the assignment each day by clicking the appropriate row in the rubric, so that students' grades for the assignment will cumulatively increase with each day of participation.

View solution in original post

Hi Kristin - learning CANVAS has been painful for us on-ground folks, it seems it was built for on-line.  That said, it's our CANVAS now.  Your class contribution grading suggestion is to create 26 assignments, one for each day of class and grade each student for each class using the rubric.  I like that idea but then the grade "book" stretches so long - have you used this approach? 

View solution in original post