Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sutaria

How to group files inside zip

I am working on API call for SIS import. We may have files for more than one term. How would you suggest I group these files while zipping them? For example, I have to send following files - 

• Courses-Fall2018.csv
  • Enrollments-Fall2018.csv
  • Courses-Spring2019.csv
  • Enrollments-Spring2019.csv
  • Users.csv
  • Accounts.csv
  • Terms.csv

Should I zip them by terms? OR should I zip them in one folder? What is the best approach?

Tags (2)
5 Replies
MattHanes
Community Member

We don't really use terms, but I'll try to help. I think the best approach would be to send these as one import:

• Courses-Fall2018.csv
  • Enrollments-Fall2018.csv
  • Users.csv
  • Accounts.csv
  • Terms.csv

And then send these separately as a second import:

• Courses-Spring2019.csv
  • Enrollments-Spring2019.csv

You don't have to send the users, accounts, and terms the second time if they contain the information for both terms. I think that would be the best approach from a troubleshooting standpoint because then you can see the errors separately by term.

robotcars
Community Member

One folder

Send them together, all at once

Try it, I dare you

:smileygrin:

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/105474-re-how-to-bundle-files-for-sis-import?commentID=10547... 

@RobertCaroll - Thank you for your response Smiley Happy.

My question is focused on batch mode. I cannot send all files in one folder as I need to specify batch_term as a parameter in my API call. I will have to make more than one call - one for Fall2018 and other for Spring2019

I have not tried Batch Mode, it scares me.

I am also able to setup my queries and csv exports by School Calendar, so terms like Fall and Spring get populated into the same files as courses and enrollments appear in the SIS Views.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sutaria ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie