How to implement course retake for students who failed?

Jump to solution
christian_3
Community Member

I want to implement a course retake system on top of Canvas LMS that teachers will implement to give a second chance to students who failed the first attempt. 

It has to be implemented in such a way that only candidates who failed the course can have a retake window visible on the course dashboard within the specified time frame.

Any idea of how to go about this one is highly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@christian_3 ...

Full disclosure...  I am a Canvas administrator at our Technical College, and I do not teach courses.  Have you come up with a solution yet?  One thought I had was that you could have a separate course shell just for those students who needed to re-take the course.  That way, any submissions and grades for those students would be preserved in the original course, and you could essentially use the re-take course shell to do a comparison.  Also, you mentioned a specific timeframe for these students in the re-take course.  This would be just like setting start/end dates in your original course "Settings" page...but now you'd be setting start/end dates for the re-take course instead.

This is just an initial thought...and there may be other options out there which I've not thought of.  I'm sure people at other schools have come up with their own ways of handling course re-takes, so I would welcome those suggestions as well.

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

0 Likes