How to move multiple students to a new section

Jump to solution
GeoffreyWheeler
Community Participant

Is there a way to easily and efficiently move multiple students from one section of a class to another? We have a vocational program with continuous enrollment. I have created a section for each learning unit in the course. When a group of students in one learning unit is ready to move to the next I'd love to be able to move all of them at the same time.  It appears that I need to got to People > Edit sections > delete current section > add new section for each student.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

@GeoffreyWheeler -

You do have an easy access to the information needed.  download the gradebook.  there should be a sis user id column and  a sis login column as well (or at least I get one from my institution).  Therefore if the students are already in a section, then all of that is in a nice csv file which can be reduced to that single column and saved and then opened in a text editor copied and pasted.

View solution in original post

I tried it and it works very easily.  By "download" we mean:

Grades > View > Filters > Sections

In the drop down box select the section that you want to migrate/copy to a new section

Grades > Actions >  Export Current Gradebook View

The view is exported and downloaded.

Open the cvs/excel file

Select all the SSIDs in that column (no need to isolate the column and save as a text file)

Canvas > People > + People > SS ID  >  paste the list > Section (select you the one you want them to be added to).

Done

View solution in original post