How to provide students with feedback to essay questions (in Canvas)?

Jump to solution
LamisJomaa
Community Member

I am facing difficulty in providing students with the correct answers for essay questions that are included as part of our weekly class quizzes and assignments. I want to have the correct answers presented to the students after they complete the submission so it can make it easier on them to learn the material and easier for me to do the grading.  However, this option does not seem to be available in Canvas for essay questions, am I correct? For example, I noticed that when I have numerical questions or T/F and multiple-choice type of questions, we can give feedback for correct answers (green box) and feedback for incorrect answers (in red comments box). This option is not available for essay questions as it seems and the grey box 'general answer comments' I am afraid would show up on the students' side while they are reading the question as a hint. 

In other words, how can I let students who complete essay questions get the correct answers/feedback AFTER they complete their quiz and not during their quiz time.

Thank you in advance for any helpful tips!

0 Likes
1 Solution

@LamisJomaa ...

I see what you mean.  In the settings for Classic Quizzes, you can select the option of "Let Student See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Question Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)", and then if that option is selected, you can further select, "Let Student See The Correct Answers" with date fields to "Show Correct Answers at" and "Hide Correct Answers at".  But, that only seems to be for "correct" responses...not for the general comments that you're asking about.

Have you explored New Quizzes yet?  In New Quizzes, you get feedback options for correct, incorrect, and general comments ... all for the Essay types of questions (instead of just general comments in the Classic Quiz interface).

Screenshot 2023-08-30 115909.png

These are part of the settings within the New Quizzes interface.  I've checked all options here so that you can see what they are.  (Some of them are initially grayed out until you select other options.)  I wonder if things like "Show item feedback" might be what you're looking for?

How do I restrict students from viewing quiz resul... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

If you don't have New Quizzes available yet, you could talk with your school's Canvas administrator to see what their plan is to make New Quizzes available to you and other instructors at your school.

Not sure if any of this will help, but I'm providing the info just in case.  🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes