cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bw476
Community Member

How to stop screen reader from reading "Clickable"

I am testing a Canvas course. The course has the same HTML code as my other courses but the screen reader reads "Clickable" after reading each line of HTML code. My research indicate that it may have something to do with pages' javascript (the 'onclick' function). I inspected the page and did found the 'onlick' function on the page. However, I don't know how to edit the js script through the instructor interface. 

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @bw476  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I've shared your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/accessibility?sr=search&searchId=771bb3b0-adcd-4e27-90b8-2580... and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=3f97c166-f148-4d00-b543-727c7088...‌ groups whose members undoubtedly have experience with the phenomenon you've described. If you'd like to participate in one or both of those groups, you can join by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown that appears at the upper right of the group home page.

bw476
Community Member

Hi Stefanie,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply! I just joined both group and sincerely look forward to the response from your team soon.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bw476 ‌...

I thought I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion thread since around the middle of March.  In reviewing your question and the above responses, it seems as though you may have stumped members of the Canvas Community with your question.  Have you been able to come up with any solution on your own?  If so would you be willing to share that solution with us by posting a message below?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this question?  In either case, if you could please post an update below, that would be great.  Hopefully, by me checking in, that will bump your message near the top so that it might get "seen" again for a little while.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Bingran.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I also went ahead and shared this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=d900fa2a-b8be-4020-84fc-...‌ group to see if they can help!

dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @bw476 ‌,

When you say "testing a course" and "the course has the same HTML" do you mean that you are testing some HTML in the content area or the HTML of the Canvas system?  Similarly, when you inspected the page and found the "onClick" handler, was that part of the content HTML, or is that part of the system?

Without a little bit more information, it's unfortunately not going to be easy to help much more 😕

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bw476 ‌...

I thought that I would check in with you because it's been since May 11th since there's been any new activity in this particular discussion topic.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback you received from  @dwahl_sales ‌.  It looks like he is requesting a bit more information from you in order to help you troubleshoot this issue.  If you have a few minutes, please come back to this thread to provide an update so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

DebeeArmstrong
Community Participant

It's a screen reader bug. I use JAWS, NVDA and Narrator and there is a bug in JAWS that sometimes shows up in NVDA that reads lines as clickable even when there is nothing clickable on that line. Updates have fixed this, so make sure your campus keeps all screen readers updated to the most current version. 

It's not anything you can change in your HTML code.