How to weight individual assignment grades

Jump to solution
finndt
Community Member

How do assignments receive different weightings? Do the points in assignments refer to the overall weight given the assignment.

I have trouble understanding if the program does a very simple grading scheme- I give a letter grade to an assignment (in grading) and the program uses a percentage weighting of that assignment (in assignments) to calculate the final grade. Is this what happens automatically or do I need to make choices?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, @finndt there are several choices to be made. It sounds like your course and assignments have a grade scheme enabled. You can see the details (including the letter-to-percentage ratio) by selecting the appropriate link on the Course Details tab of your Settings page. More information is in the Canvas Guides document  How do I add a grading scheme to an assignment?.

Note that each assignment must have a points possible and the overall score or grade for a class is usually a direct calculation: points awarded divided by points possible. If the course has a grading scheme enabled, that calculation is converted to a symbol based on the values in the grading scheme.

View solution in original post