I imported the wrong course into my new unpublished course. How do I delete the incorrect course content to start over?

Jump to solution
MarkGiannini
Community Member

I imported a similarly named, but incorrect course content into my unpublished course.  How do I delete that incorrect course content (all of it) and import the correct course content?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @MarkGiannini ...

This is super easy...assuming that your school's Canvas administrator hasn't removed the ability for you to reset your course content on your own.  Follow these steps:

1. First, log in to the course where the incorrect content is, and then use this Guide to reset the course content...which essentially wipes out the content of the course so you can start fresh.  (In reality, it gives you a new Course ID number in the URL, but it takes care of all of that for you so you don't have to worry about that at all.)  How do I reset course content?
  2. Next, while remaining in the new, empty course shell, import content from your previous course to your new course via the Course Import Tool.  How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?

Hopefully this will all be helpful to you.  If you are unable to reset the course on your own, then you will need to reach out to your school's Canvas administrator or someone from their Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Learning team, and they should be able to help you with this.

Good luck to you!

View solution in original post