If I message a student after I've added them to a course, but before they've accepted the course invitation, will they see the message after they accept the course invite?

Jump to solution
amy_lautenschla
Community Novice

Should I wait until a student has accepted a course invite to message them? If I message them before they've accepted the pending invite, will they see it after they accept the pending invite? Or will a message enter the void if I send it before they accept the course invite? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
BradMoser
Community Contributor

@amy_lautenschla  So I called support just now, as I had this same question from a teacher today. What I confirmed is that a pending user will NOT receive email notifications for that course nor will they show up in a Canvas Message, if you try to message the class members. 

It makes sense that they wouldn't receive notification until they are officially accepted members of a course. This is especially important for manually added people. Otherwise, you could be added to all sorts of courses without your permission or you accepting that enrollment and then begin to receive notifications and communication from that pending enrollment. 

Hope that makes sense. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes