Images from Conversation Email not Viewable

Jump to solution
SkyHanson
Community Novice

My instructor sent me some pictures in an email through the conversations/inbox but I can't view or open them. They look like this:

[cid:9DD966ED-10A9-4272-A6A4-16E42C79B01C@hsd1.co.comcast.net]

[cid:33D8D75B-8A2D-4E8A-9BC3-A78634F2A531@hsd1.co.comcast.net]

How can I see these?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Sky,

If the instructor sent the message as a reply from their actual email (i.e. Outlook, etc.) instead of logging into Canvas and using the Inbox there, then the image attachments would have been stripped out.  

Even though you can reply to Canvas Inbox messages from your actual email if you are receiving email notification, and Canvas will pass it along to the Inbox conversion, attachments do not go through when you do this.  Attachments (including embedded images) can only be sent from within the Canvas Inbox.

Unfortunately, there's no way for you to view the images unless the instructor logs into Canvas and re-sends the message with the images directly from the Inbox.

View solution in original post

gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @SkyHanson 

Check your Inbox in Canvas to see if the images are viewable there. You stated "My instructor sent me some pictures in an email through the conversations/inbox" which suggest to me you are trying to read the Inbox message in your email.  

To add to what @mzimmerman , you also need to be in Canvas to view any attachments. Your instructor may have sent them through Canvas Inbox correctly, but you are trying to view them in your email client (for example, in Gmail).   What you receive to your email is actually just a notification of a message, not the message itself (it isn't forwarded).  

View solution in original post