cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkrause
Community Member

Importing test banks

Jump to solution

I have tried to import test banks QTI 2.1 from Pearson into Canvas Quiz test banks.  The import works in Settings in Canvas.  However, the imported test banks do not show up in Quizzes test banks in Canvas.  Where are they?  How can they be imported completely?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snugent
Community Champion

Importing tests can be tricky. Here are some of the troubleshooting things I have done in the past that have worked.

Sometimes the publishers will zip up all the QTI files into one big zip. Check your zip file to be sure it is truly a QTI formatted zip file. QTI zip files will have manifest file in the main directory. If you don't see this, then the file is not formatted properly. If you several zip files within the zip, then extract the zip  and import each QTI zip separately.

Publisher often have software that allows you to create tests in a test generating software program. Check to see if this is available. Often you can export the tests you generate in other formats. Sometimes Canvas is not an option for export but you can try the Blackboard or WebCT option. This sometimes works; however, you may need to rename the test banks in Canvas. They sometimes will come over as unnamed quiz and question bank.

If you have access to Respondus, try importing the QTI file into Respondus using the QTI personality. Additionally, if you have your tests in Word format you can also import them into Respondus. From there you can publish to Canvas.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
powellmon
Community Member

I will be transferring from Blackboard to Canvas this Fall Semester. So I would like to know the answer to this question.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kkrause ​...

Are you trying to import questions from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio platform?  If so, I probably have another option for you since the Technical College I work for just migrated from them to Canvas a little over a year ago.  If you are using some other Pearson product, however, I probably won't be much help unfortunately.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this Canvas Guide, but I'm including it here for your reference: How do I import Quizzes from QTI packages?

snugent
Community Champion

Importing tests can be tricky. Here are some of the troubleshooting things I have done in the past that have worked.

Sometimes the publishers will zip up all the QTI files into one big zip. Check your zip file to be sure it is truly a QTI formatted zip file. QTI zip files will have manifest file in the main directory. If you don't see this, then the file is not formatted properly. If you several zip files within the zip, then extract the zip  and import each QTI zip separately.

Publisher often have software that allows you to create tests in a test generating software program. Check to see if this is available. Often you can export the tests you generate in other formats. Sometimes Canvas is not an option for export but you can try the Blackboard or WebCT option. This sometimes works; however, you may need to rename the test banks in Canvas. They sometimes will come over as unnamed quiz and question bank.

If you have access to Respondus, try importing the QTI file into Respondus using the QTI personality. Additionally, if you have your tests in Word format you can also import them into Respondus. From there you can publish to Canvas.

View solution in original post