cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesley_cryderma
Community Contributor

In Moderate Quiz, how does Canvas calculate time it took to complete Quiz?

Jump to solution

I could not find this information in the guides.

When viewing Moderate Quiz, for some students it says "finished in __ minutes", but for other students it says "finished in about ___".  What does "about" mean? 

I have an instructor who set a time limit of 45 minutes.  In Moderate Quiz, she is seeing where students are finishing in "about 1 hour".  She is concerned about this.  I thought maybe it's a "rounding" situation, but cannot find any documentation.

These particular students have NOT been given extra time.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ .  Very good question and you are correct, it is not easy to find an explanation to this level of granularity for quiz completion time reporting.   @scottdennis  pointed me to this information from Ruby on Rails programming related to time reporting that appears to explain what you have noticed.

distance_of_time_in_words(from_time, to_time = 0, options = {})

Reports the approximate distance in time between two Time, Date or DateTime objects or integers as seconds. Pass include_seconds: true if you want more detailed approximations when distance < 1 min, 29 secs. Distances are reported based on the following table:

269653_pastedImage_1.png

From this table, it appears 44:30 is right on the boundary between when a student is reported as taking from 2-44 minutes and "about 1 hour".  So, if students are given 45 minutes to complete the assessment and they take over 44min 30sec up to the full 45 minutes, it will report the time as "about 1 hour" due to Ruby programming.  One should be able to see the student's exact time by clicking on their name, however.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ .  Very good question and you are correct, it is not easy to find an explanation to this level of granularity for quiz completion time reporting.   @scottdennis  pointed me to this information from Ruby on Rails programming related to time reporting that appears to explain what you have noticed.

distance_of_time_in_words(from_time, to_time = 0, options = {})

Reports the approximate distance in time between two Time, Date or DateTime objects or integers as seconds. Pass include_seconds: true if you want more detailed approximations when distance < 1 min, 29 secs. Distances are reported based on the following table:

269653_pastedImage_1.png

From this table, it appears 44:30 is right on the boundary between when a student is reported as taking from 2-44 minutes and "about 1 hour".  So, if students are given 45 minutes to complete the assessment and they take over 44min 30sec up to the full 45 minutes, it will report the time as "about 1 hour" due to Ruby programming.  One should be able to see the student's exact time by clicking on their name, however.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

svendsen
Community Member

Hello. I see the time ranges, but why couldn't it simply record of the student from the start of the quiz until it is submitted? The ranges are not precise enough and opening multiple links to find the true value at the top of the quiz is not a practical solution. I'd truly like to see a simple recording of the time taken to start and submit the quiz

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@svendsen , not sure if it will help, but have you tried looking at the quiz log - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12835-4152295598 I find that it has more and better information than the moderate quiz screen.

lesley_cryderma
Community Contributor

That's a good thought Kona!  Unfortunately, our institution has not yet implemented Quiz Logging because we don't implement anything that Instructure marks as Beta and this feature has been in Beta for something like 3 years now!

That's too bad! We've been using it for probably three years and it works quite nicely. 

Hi  @svendsen .  That is a good question.  I am not a programmer so don't know for sure but would guess that there is a reason why the programming is set up as it is currently.  Perhaps the piece of code that returns these ranges was already in existence or there is a limitation to being able to return an exact time in the context of where this code exists.  I do know from speaking to a number of programmers over the years that changing how something is coded is not as strait forward or as quick as it seems like it should be.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Kinda, but not really.  Basically, there really isn't a good answer to the question as it stands.  Feel free to close.

Lesley