Inbox messages not going through

Jump to solution
lwoott
Community Member

I'm just getting started on Canvas, and I sent a message through the Canvas Inbox to the full class, myself included.  The Canvas course is linked to our institution emails, but I didn't receive the email. I then sent a few test messages directly to myself and didn't receive those at my institution email, either. The messages show up as "sent" in the Inbox function, but they don't appear in the Canvas inbox itself as new messages; the inbox is empty even though there are "sent" messages to it. The course is published.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @lwoott ...

There are a couple things I can help to clarify...

• If you send a message via the Canvas Inbox to your students and also include yourself in the list of people you're sending the message to, it will not send you a copy of that message.  Although, it will keep a copy of the message you sent in your "Sent" folder.  This is covered in the blue box at the top of this Guide: How do I send a message to a user in a course in the Inbox as an instructor?.
  • Do you have your notifications set up correctly to receive a copy of your message to your e-mail address?  How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor?  Look at the three rows under the "Conversations" category.  Specifically, look at the row called "Conversations Created By Me".  Do you have that configured to receive copies of messages you send via the Canvas Inbox to your e-mail address?

Please check out these links and your configuration.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post