Integrate Google Chat Space in Canvas

Jump to solution
divinefavourC
Community Member

Any one have about the possibility of integrating a google chat space in canvas? What are the steps?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

It looks like the Google + Canvas integrations are still a work in progress, @divinefavourC, based on an Instructure blog article on integration with Google Meet. That was published not too long ago (Dec. 31, 2020) but at least one (or is it two?) generations ago in terms of Google's product names. 

Without the integration, I did some testing with Google Chat Spaces and think the best option is to provide a link to the space inside Canvas. The trick is how to add authorized users to the space. I created a space and provided the link to another Google User. But when they clicked on the link, Google Chat reported that they were not authorized to use the space. So it looks like I had to invite the user to the space, and that worked.

Here's where I ran into two problems. The minor one is that I had to type each email address one at a time. The major one is I could not type an email address unless that email address is connected to a Google account. If I use my college-provided Google account I can add my students with their college-provided Google account, but many of my students have another Google account and that presents a challenge for those who are already logged into that other Google account before they click on the link to join a Google Chat Space for their college-provided Google account. 

I'm going to mark my response as a solution, but there can be more than one. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options for connecting Google Chat with Canvas.

View solution in original post