Is it possible to hide the grade book?

Jump to solution
judith_bradetic
Community Novice

Is it possible to hide the grade book while I am tweaking grade-weight percentages so that I don't freak out my students?

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@judith_bradetic  

Go into your beta instance of Canvas and do the tweaking there until you have it the way you want it. Then once you have figured out the proper percentages, come back to the production instance of Canvas and make the changes for real.

Send a message before you make the changes in the production instance telling them what you're going to do and why and how they will be impacted. Then just make the changes and don't try to hide anything.

By the way, I would never give this advice to a faculty at our institution without also mentioning they need to match what the syllabus says the grading scheme is. If you say exams are worth 40% of the grade and all of a sudden they're now worth 80% of the grade, students could have a legitimate reason to grade appeal.

Things may have to change because of the COVID-19 situation and I cannot do all of the things that I would have done in class -- or at least I cannot do them in the same way. So changing percentages may be required. I just want the faculty to be aware of the possible repercussions.

Being open and upfront about what is happening and making sure that it always benefits the student is the safest way to avoid potential trouble.

View solution in original post