Is there a Canvas LTI/Plugin to allow advanced New Analytics "Message Students Who..." as Future Triggers?

dacarter
Community Explorer

When I saw the "Message Students Who" feature under New Analytics, I was immediately intrigued at the possibilities. When I started to try a test run of this feature, I quickly became disappointed. It does not seem that we can set up Triggers for future events - they can only be "set up" after some students have already triggered the event, and apparently must be recreated each time a cohort needs to be notified.

For example, I wanted to set up a course as a free pre-screening course to make sure prospective students for a program have the necessary background to be able to succeed in a Program.  I added an introductory reading for the course, made it a "Mark as Done" Assignment, and gave it 10 points.  I wanted to create a "Message Students Who... score 50 to 100%" as a "Thank you for starting the admissions process" message.  The system will not allow me to complete setting this up because there are no students who have done the trigger and so the "Send" button is disabled.  So, Canvas doesn't seem to be able to handle this.  Is there an LTI/Plugin that might? Am I mistaken? 

My question then becomes "Is there a Canvas LTI/Plugin that can perform these triggered actions, or a feature I'm just not aware of? 

Thank you for listening.  If my above message is confirmed (that this feature does not exist), I will post something similar as a Feature Suggestion.

0 Likes