Issue with Safari refresh

Jump to solution
bridget_v_dougl
Community Novice

I'd like to know why Canvas has recently stopped working properly when using Safari. The page constantly refreshes and every time it takes the page back to the beginning. This is irritating when you're part way through reading a Canvas page and it takes you back to the beginning. It makes Canvas impossible to use on Safari, which is my preferred browser for everything else.

This doesn't occur on Chrome, only Safari. It makes no difference where the cursor is on the page.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Bridget

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @bridget_v_dougl ...

I don't have a Mac computer, so I'm not real familiar with the Safari web browser (other than on my iPhone and iPad), but I'd invite you to take a look at this Guide: Which browsers does Canvas support?.  Per this Guide, currently only Safari 12 and 13 are supported browsers.  I know that you said you prefer Safari, but the general consensus here in the Community is that Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox work quite well when navigating around the Canvas environment.  So, as you've found out, an updated version of Chrome (or Firefox) will provide a better browsing experience.  If you can use either Chrome or Firefox for your Canvas needs while using Safari for other web browsing, that would be my suggestion.  I hope this will help, Bridget.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

Hi Bridget,

Thanks for that, I am on Mac myself and have the same version of Safari (I just checked). It seems to be all OK here. I will admit I have just done a fresh install of Mac OS, so, it is very clean, but seems to not have any issues with refreshing.

As Chris mentioned, it might be best to try an alternate browser, however, as a Mac user I know that Safari is the go-to for best battery life, so can appreciate why you would want to stick with it.

If it keeps happening and you can't narrow it down, you might want to reach out to Canvas Support who might be able to help you better, you can do this via the Help menu in Canvas. I am also wondering if there might be something your institution has customised in their environment that might be causing this. Canvas Support can access your specific instance of Canvas and help you through that and have a look.

Apologies we can't be of more help, and I hope between Chris and I that we have pointed you in the right direction.

Stuart

View solution in original post