cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter8
Community Member

Link to course files

Jump to solution

I used to have a right hand navigation bar when I did a Page Edit, but it's gone.  The window of the Rich Content Editor now reaches to the right margin of the screen.  I used to be able to highlight words in the text and choose a file from the Files menu at the right, but it's no longer there.  Where did that right hand navigation bar go?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @peter8 

The New RCE, and it is really not all that new anymore, now uses the Course Links icon to open the Content Link sidebar. I really like this change because it opens up so much area on the screen when it is not open. Anyways, this guide will help, How do I create hyperlinks to course or group content in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @peter8 

The New RCE, and it is really not all that new anymore, now uses the Course Links icon to open the Content Link sidebar. I really like this change because it opens up so much area on the screen when it is not open. Anyways, this guide will help, How do I create hyperlinks to course or group content in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
probinson1
Community Participant

So, a once really easy thing to do (highlight something and then click on the element to which we wanted to link) has now turned into something like 8 or 9 steps? 

Honestly.

probinson1
Community Participant

We had a HUGE discussion about this in our on-campus e-learning team. What used to take a user a maximum of three clicks (highlight desired word, click correct section on right, click on desired link to insert) now takes about eight steps and is supremely non-intuitive.

While it might make for a nifty change for coders/programmers, it is an extremely non-end user-friendly "solution" to a problem that didn't seem to exist. Why further complicate a process? Why add steps? Why are we back to cave-drawings (icons) and not actual words?

In teaching and training faculty to more efficiently use Canvas (since many were literally forced into the use bc of the pandemic), we have now added an additional complication to an already someone baffling (for absolute non-techies) system.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Polly