Linking to another Canvas page from the Simple Syllabus

Jump to solution
JeriseFogel
Community Member

Hello all--My institution has adopted Simple Syllabus. I am struggling to find a way to link from within that Syllabus to other pages in my Course. One example: in the "Course Materials" section, I want to link to a page where I compiled some additional readings, not required but recommended. When I link using the URL (which is the only option I can see for linking), it embeds the entire Canvas site within the "Course Materials" frame, which looks weird (it duplicates the left hand bar, for instance).

Any solutions welcome! Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@JeriseFogel 

First, let me encourage you to not do this. At the end, I'll tell you how if you still want to.

We use Simple Syllabus. One of the really cool things about Simple Syllabus is the ability to roll your syllabus over from term to term. Faculty who have a standard syllabus that doesn't change much love it. People like me who do a lot of customizations to my syllabus hate it.

Why? Because when I generated my syllabi inside WordPerfect (yes, I still use that), I use variables -- Simple Syllabus calls them blocks. I have the last date a student can turn in work about four different places in my syllabus. I change it once in WordPerfect and it updates through my syllabus. I have to manually change it every place in Simple Syllabus. And if someone knows how to create and maintain user-defined blocks in Simple Syllabus, please let me know.

What does that have to do with what you want? I have not tested this, but I have serious doubts that Simple Syllabus will update those links when you roll the course over. When you go to a new course, the course ID in the URL changes. The students in the new course don't have access to the old course so the links won't work. That means you're going to have to go through and change every one of them with every courses that starts with the Simple Syllabus.

Depending on how much customization you need to make, that is a major pain. I also have a weekly calendar of topics because the state group that approves syllabi wants to see how much time we spend on each topic, not just by "section 3.1" or "3.1 homework", which is what Simple Syllabus imports from Canvas. It's broken down by week and I put the actual dates in the syllabus. I cannot simply say "Week 1" because the topics change each term because of holidays. Simple Syllabus makes it downright painful for me to update this. It is designed to be Simple (as the name infers), not powerful. The date headings are level 2 in my WordPerfect Syllabus but must be level 3 in Simple Syllabus. I ended writing a script that would generate the HTML needed, then I open the browser's developer tools, edit the HTML directly, and paste in my code. Updating a link or two isn't as problematic, but I'm just sharing things people don't think about when they first set it up.

Another reason I doubt that Simple Syllabus will change those links is that Canvas is not meant to be embedded within other pages and definitely not within itself. More reason for Simple Syllabus to not update the links is that the syllabi might be available to the public. Your Canvas course probably isn't, so those links wouldn't work for anyone not in your class.

Let's say that you really think it's important to have those links, you don't mind manually updating them each term (you may change your mind on this after you have to do it), and you don't have to worry about people outside the class seeing the links.

From your image, it looks like it is leaving Simple Syllabus when you click on a link, but staying within Canvas.

I seem to recall that there is some query parameter you can put on a URL that will tell Canvas not to display the navigation menu. That was years ago when I was dealing with it and I don't remember right now. It might have been something like headless. I think that had to do with embedding a page in an iframe, which is not what you want to do. What you want to do is just navigate to that page and not have a Canvas within Canvas.

You may think you want to just display the page where Simple Syllabus was. But technically what you need to do is just go to that page in Canvas. You don't want to stay on the Simple Syllabus page.

So, let's step outside Simple Syllabus for a moment.

The question now becomes whether you want the link to open in a new tab or replace the existing tab?

Breaking out of an iframe to replace the existing window is more challenging. Simple Syllabus doesn't have an HTML editor -- at least not that I've found.  It can involve entering JavaScript, which may get blocked (I don't know, but Canvas strips JavaScript out of user content so it's not unheard of). I do not recommend this.

Opening in a new tab would leave Simple Syllabus visible. This is what happens in Canvas when you link to an external site. To Simple Syllabus, Canvas is external. That may not make sense, but think of it this way -- Canvas is not hosted by Simple Syllabus, your content in Canvas is not contained on the Simple Syllabus website.

To open a link in a new tab, you can add target="_blank" within the link HTML code. You cannot edit the HTML to do this within Simple Syllabus, but it turns out you don't have to.

When you create a link, there is a checkbox for "Open in new tab". You can also edit the link and check that box. When you check that, it should open in a new tab and not be embedded within the existing Canvas page.

View solution in original post