cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmurdock
Community Participant

Login Password Visible

I'm putting this in as a question because maybe there is a work around that I don't know about. I wonder if there is a way to have the password be invisible (just dots) instead of actually showing the letters and numbers as I type. My problem is that there are several times that I'm projecting Canvas to my class and click on something that takes me to another login page. I have to stop, remove the projection so that students can't see my login, login, and then re-project. This can be quite a hassle and time consuming. Does anyone have this same problem or know of a way around it? Thanks for ideas!

Tags (3)
10 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmurdock ​,

The only time I have seen this is on older versions of Internet Explorer.  Do you know what browser your are using and what version it is?  Have you tried changing browsers?  We recommend using the newest versions of Firefox or Chrome.  You might also talk to your school's Canvas Administrator and ask them how they are handling the branding.

Robbie

I have to agree with Robbie, password information doesn't show up for me either. Does your password show up every time you go to log into Canvas - regardless of the computer and/or Internet browser?

jmurdock
Community Participant

I believe I'm using updated Chrome on my laptop, but can check on that to

be sure. I've always had this problem though, but I'm thinking it might

that I use Safari while projecting using my iPad. Could that be it? What is

it supposed to be like? Login once and not have to over and over depending

on what I click on and go to in Canvas???

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:52 AM, rogrant@nmsu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

jmurdock
Community Participant

I'm thinking it's just on iPad with Safari. I'm testing this out now and

will check with my tech guy too. Thanks! I thought this was strange for the

password to show as I was typing it.

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:03 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yep, heck I normally log in once for the whole day or most of the day (that's in my office). When I'm in the classroom - 2+ hour class - I log in once and then never have to log in again. I'd definitely contact tech support at your campus!

Hi Jennifer

You should only need to log in once, and not be prompted over and over when you click on links in Canvas. Do you know whether your institution are using a custom login screen rather than the standard Canvas one? We use our own custom screen and it redirects to our institution's authentication system, the same one that is used for email, library etc. so our users enter the same password as they would for any of our services. I'm wondering whether your administrators have created a custom login page but it's not displaying correctly on your iPad.

I've attached a screenshot showing what the Canvas login screen normally looks like. If yours looks different - perhaps has been customised to show your school's logo for example - then the problem could be related to the customisation so you should ask your local administrator, as Robbie suggested.

jmurdock
Community Participant

Thanks for the details. He will be up to see me today!

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:36 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

jmurdock
Community Participant

Did you attach the screen shot?

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:38 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

@jmurdock , I can see  @Steve_Watts ​'s attachment; you will have to log into the Community and navigate to this discussion to access it.