Make 'Groups' tab visible but hiding 'Everyone' tab

Jump to solution
marian_caulfiel
Community Member

Hi I am trying to set up groups in 'People' which is currently hidden. I need to make to groups visible to students but if I make 'people' where groups are located students can see the 'Everyone' tab as well with sensitive info like student numbers and email addresses and activity that we do not want them to see. Can anyone adise how I can make a groups visible without making the 'Everyone' tab visible too?

Thank 

Marian

1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @marian_caulfiel and welcome to the Canvas Community.  I did some testing in our instance with fake students and a fake class.  It appears as though if you create student groups and then go to the homepage of each group, you can copy the URL of that link.  If this is provided to students in that group they can use the URL to access the group page.  Students not in the course appear to get an access denied message.  Being said, even this may not be a good approach because in groups it looks like the People's tab is available to see contact information for group members and I don't know if this can be hidden (might be worth asking Canvas Support).

However, you may want to speak to the Canvas admins at your institution and see whether it is possible to hide all sensitive information in the People's tab.  I checked in our instance and when acting as a student in a course, if the student clicks on someone's name in the People's tab they just see the profile picture.  This may be something that an admin can set up at the account level in permissions.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.  It seems as though ideally your admins would find a way to hide all personal information from students in the People's tab so that this course level tab could be left open for accessing groups.  Someone here may have faced this and have better information as well!

View solution in original post

0 Likes