cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lroginsky
Community Member

Make graded quizzes not count towards final grade

How can I make a graded quiz not count towards final grade? You can do this for "assignments" but not for online quizzes?

I have 14 total quizzes, each worth about 10 pts each (some are worth bit more than 10), for a total of 146.85 pts. These "quizzes" are called "homework assignments" in my course. 

For the final grade, I calculate a "homework final" where their total quiz grade is converted to a grade out of 100 (rather than 146.85). 

I add a column to the gradebook called "homework final" showing their grade out of 100. However, I need to make each each of the 14 individual quizzes not count towards their final grade in order for students to have an accurate final grade in their gradebook. Currently, their average is being figured based on the both the "homework final" column (146.85 pts) and the grade for each individual quiz (which together add up to 146.85 pts). So their final point total is now 146.85 too many because the grade is being counted twice. 

Students still need to be able to see their grade for each of the 14 quizzes. We cannot delete graded assignments!  A work around could be to change each of the 14 quizzes to a "practice quiz" or "ungraded survey". However, when I do so,  the column disappears from their gradebook which is not acceptable. Is there way to keep the "practice quiz" or "ungraded survey" in their gradebook?

I do not use weighted grades. I used points. 

9 Replies
James
Community Champion

@lroginsky  

The simplest approach I can think of is to go ahead and convert to a weighted gradebook.

Create a Homework assignment group called Homework. Make the original Assignments group worth 100% of the grade. Make the new Homework group worth 0% of the grade

Move the original 14 homework assignments into the homework group and leave everything else in the Assignments group that is worth 100%

Depending on how you converted the 146.5 points to 100 points, you might be able to just use a weighed gradebook and bypass the creation of a separate assignment to hold the homework.

There's nothing that says you can't use a weighted gradebook in the same proportion as your points. If you have homework = 100 points, exams = 500 points, labs = 200 points, projects = 200 points, then there are 1000 points possible and you set the weights to 10%, 50%, 20%, and 20% respectively.

Extra credit needs handled with care and considered if you're using it. This is true whether you have a weighted gradebook or not.

mlabbett
Community Participant

An easy fix would be for Canvas to add a checkbox to not apply to final grade.

cdunn4
Community Participant

practice quizzes don't transfer to the gradebook.

Also in graded quizzes there is an option button "sync to gradebook"  leave this unclicked

kaytlin_bortola
Community Participant

How do I make my quiz a practice quiz?

I do not have the option of "sync to gradebook" in my quiz..

kaytlin_bortola
Community Participant

You cannot convert to weighted assignments in the second grading period, as some assignment groups were from the first grading period - so this does not work.

Does anyone else have ideas on how to make it so that quizzes do not go toward the final grade?

<How do I make my quiz a practice quiz?>

Edit each quiz to change setting for "

select "Practice quiz" instead of "graded quiz"

The issue is then, as noted in the original question: the practice quiz does not show up in the gradebook. But there is still a way for instructors to see what students get on these practice quizzes:

1. view any quiz
  2. select the drop down menu in the three vertical dots (to the right of "edit" button)
  3. one option in that list allows you to "show student quiz results"
  4. then you can see how many points each student got on the quiz and manually record that to an "ungraded" assignment in the gradebook. 
  5. At some point that you choose, you can manually determine how many of those points to use or what the percent out of the total possible is and manually enter the points you desire into a "graded" assignment column.

This can become a tedious process, especially if you have multiple "practice quizzes" that students are doing. 

Much easier if Canvas would simply allow "ungraded quiz" ( add a checkbox to not apply to final grade but still show up in gradebook)

lshulman
Community Participant

< Is there way to keep the "practice quiz" or "ungraded survey" in their gradebook?>

I have this issue as well. But since I only have one "practice quiz" it is not too difficult for me to manually view student grades and manually transfer those points (or percentage of points) to a graded assignment ("no submission" from student):

the practice quiz does not show up in the gradebook. But there is still a way for instructors to see what students get on these practice quizzes:

1. view any quiz
  2. select the drop down menu in the three vertical dots (to the right of "edit" button)
  3. one option in that list allows you to "show student quiz results"
  4. then you can see how many points each student got on the quiz and manually record that to an "ungraded" assignment in the gradebook. 
  5. At some point that you choose, you can manually determine how many of those points to use or what the percent out of the total possible is and manually enter the points you desire into a "graded" assignment column.

This can become a tedious process, especially if you have multiple "practice quizzes" that students are doing. 

mvanmatre
Community Participant

Canvas Noob Boy Wonder here,

Have you tried creating the quiz in new quizzes and select the toggle "Do not count . . . " It shows up in the gradebook and student grade as graded, they get a score, and the exclamation point next to let's them know it's not counted.

New Quizzes / Assg Group = quizzes (you set weight) / Points or Comp/Incomplete

Select toggle: Do not count

mvanmatre_0-1615301222404.png
Gradebook view: points / Comp/Incomplete mvanmatre_1-1615301360238.png     mvanmatre_4-1615301616552.png
Student View mvanmatre_2-1615301407103.png
  mvanmatre_3-1615301464936.png
  mvanmatre_5-1615301699943.png

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Not all of us have access to New Quizzes. Our institution does not support them and does not plan to anytime soon. It's frustrating that we can't have this sort of basic functionality in classic quizzes, given that not all institutions can use New Quizzes. Canvas folks...still no one has a solution?...We are not using weighted assignments for a variety of reasons, btw.