Mass-assign Missing for an Assignment

Jump to solution
HenryLevel
Community Explorer

Skyward has a feature that allows teachers to press a button and mark all ungraded assignments in that column with a 0 AND missing indicator.  This feature would work for assignments that require no submission or on paper and save teachers time having to manually check the missing indicator for each student assignment.

This would add functionality to set a default grade of "0 and missing" at the same time - as an option to the existing Set Default Grade functionality.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@HenryLevel, I remember when the Missing option was added to Canvas, and there was a brief time when it was applied to no submission (and no paper) assignments. This understandably upset those students who had turned in their assignments on time but their instructor had not yet posted grades to Canvas, and the decision was made not to apply the missing policy to those assignment types. You bring up an interesting idea to give instructors the option to simultaneously add the Missing tag to assignments when given a default grade of zero.

The best option is to suggest that as an idea to improve Canvas. The details for this process are on the page How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Community? 

I'm going to mark this reply as a solution. Creating an idea does not provide an immediate solution to the problem you described, though it is a solution. I’m going to mark it as such and hope that our colleagues who have a similar challenge will find the best way to contribute.

View solution in original post