cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbray1
Community Member

Migrating Quizzes that Use Pools of Questions from Blackboard to Canvas

MY QUESTION: IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THE FOLLOWING PROCESS?

I am trying to migrate a course that has quizzes among other assessments from Blackboard to Canvas. My question is about how to migrate quizzes that use pool of questions and random blocks in Blackboard to Canvas. My goal is to have quizzes on Canvas linked to a question bank from where they can pool questions - like they did in Blackboard.

I have been running into issues along the process. I have tried to import in a couple of different ways:

Scenario 1:

Content Type: Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export.zip file

Source: my zip file from Blackboard
Default Question bank: select question bank
Content: All content
Options: unchecked

Following this process I run into the issue of obtaining a 10-question quiz as a 190-question quiz.  

Scenario 2:

Content: Select specific content

Import

Select content: one quiz (first try) or both one quiz and question banks (second try on a separate import)

As a result, I still obtain the same outcome of scenario 1.

At the moment I import quizzes using the following procedure to obviate the above issues:

Content: Select specific content

Import

Select content: question banks (I click on the arrow that opens up a drop-down list); I then select the questions I want.

Once the import is done, I go to the question banks and reorganize them; I put all the questions of multiple question banks in one question bank that I label with a new name - for convenience the same name of my new quiz. Next, I go to edit my new quiz. I then select edit/questions/New Question Group. I create the group, assign number of question and points to the quiz, and then I check on I link to a Question Bank – I link it to my new question bank that I have just created.

This seems to be the best way to do it at the moment. I am wondering if there is another way.

IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THIS PROCESS?

8 Replies
alexander_mitch
Community Participant

So you're looking at Blackboard quizzes that use a single random block of questions that pull from multiple question pools, and you're trying to figure out the best way to migrate that type of quiz into Canvas.

I've had this same problem, and I'd love to hear how people solve it! 

Fursty
Community Participant

Is there an answer to this?   

alexander_mitch
Community Participant

Hi James,

We've seen two different possible solutions so far:

1. Import the quizzes and clean up the question banks afterwards
  2. Flatten the quizzes and banks in the Bb environment and then import

The new Quizzes.Next tool may have different functionality in this regard, but we haven't really started testing it yet?

—Alex

kblack
Community Champion

My own experience with this is that if you import the Blackboard content as a course (not as a quiz), everything will import just fine insofar as the question banks are concerned, but indeed it will be on the faculty to take things from there with creating the quizzes on their own.  The other thing that can happen is all of the banks appear as quizzes with all 200+ questions in them. 

dgrilley
Community Participant

So, I am relatively new here, but here is what I have learned as you brave your way in Canvas.

1) The question banks are all only one level deep - it doesn't matter if you use Quizzes or the forthcoming "Quizzes.next".  You have already figured this out, but it is an often requested feature that needs more support from users (upvote the https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5800-quizzesnext-subfolders-for-item-banks?sr=search&searchId=...‌ idea!).

2) Question banks do not function the same way in Canvas as you have used in the past.  You appear to need to choose between being able to select subsets of questions (available in quizzes) and being able to have your edits update your questions in the quiz (quizzes.next).  Both quiz environments allow you to have "random" questions that pull from a pool of questions.  For additional differences see Quizzes.Next Feature Comparison.  If you did want to see the ability to select subsets of questions in the new quizzes.next platform, consider the idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14539-selecting-a-subset-of-questions-from-an-item-bank-in-qui...‌.

3) If you are considering moving your quizzes to quizzes.next, you will need to do about what you are doing now, again.  See the guide How do I migrate a Canvas quiz to Quizzes.Next?‌.  Note that this does NOT migrate the question bank.  For that you need to see the idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14504-migrate-question-banks-to-item-banks-automatically?sr=se...‌.  There is a work around though: First, create a quiz with all of your questions in it. Second, export the quiz (Settings -> export content -> ...).  Third, go to the quizzes.next quiz and create a new item bank.  Fourth, edit the item bank and then import the quiz that you exported.  See How do I export quiz content from a course? and How do I import questions from a QTI package into an item bank in Quizzes.Next?

4) There is no direct way to import into quizzes.next. See https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14507-specify-quizzesquizzesnext-for-import-from-other-lms-sys...‌.

Having struggled with quizzes and quizzes.next after importing all of my quizzes from my previous LMS, I wish I had taken some time to explore the different tools.  We are defaulted into the "Quizzes" tool, but all future development is occurring in the quizzes.next platform.  So, even if all of the functionality in quizzes isn't apparent in quizzes.next, it may make sense to migrate to quizzes.next right now and suffer through the lack of some functionality.  Or, you can wait for the import and migration processes to be streamlined!

Hope this helps.

Dan

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @lbray1 ...

I am reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 26, 2019.  It looks like you've received a variety of responses from Community members over the past several months.  Have you had an opportunity to review each of these responses?  Did any of them help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to one of the responses.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your original question, please let us know that as well by posting a note below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and also because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since July 16, 2019.  However, that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Laura.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

I'm trying to figure this out now and I don't see an answer with a workable solution. I used a publisher's test generator to export to .QTI and to a BB file. I am unable to upload either into a Canvas quiz.

Good evening,  @charles_bush ...

Are you using the instructions described in one of these Guides?

Here's how to tell which version of Quizzes you have in your school's Canvas environment:

I hope this information will be of help to you, Charles.  Please sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!