Navigation Screen Tips

Jump to solution
HeatherBeatty
Community Explorer

When I hover over a navigation icon such as account, dashboard, etc. for example, I see a screen tip that states the name of the link such as account for the account link or dashboard for the dashboard link. I can see this when I hover over any navigation link that is not active. Some of my other colleagues do not see the screen or navigation tips (there may be another word for it in Canvas). Is this a feature I set on my profile? If so, do you know what it is called so that I can share how to set this up for other canvas users at our school? Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

It sounds like you are referring to the global navigation menu on the left in Canvas. 

Since you are seeing tooltips when you hover over the icons, you have likely collapsed the global navigation menu by clicking the arrow in the bottom left.

For your colleagues that don't see it, they are likely on the default expanded view.  In the expanded view, the descriptions are under the icons so there aren't any tooltips shown.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can see the comparison of expanded and collapsed:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-use-the-Global-Navigation-Menu-as-a-studen... 

View solution in original post