Nested Weighted Categories?

Jump to solution
mzkm
Community Participant

This year our district has made our weighted categories for us. For instance:

Formatives: 60%

Summatives: 40%

Previously I would weight different types of assignments differently. For instance, notebook checks for 10%. 

Is there is a way for me to state that notebook check assignments should make up 10% of the 60% that all formatives are worth?

If not, it seems I am now forced to be point-based and have to plan out every single assignment I will give and play around with that.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@mzkm This is a very common request in the community and currently there is not a way to do sub/nested weights in Canvas.  Here is the feature request which you can vote up:  assignment weighting in assignment groups - Instructure Community

Not sure if this would be allowed with your school rules but you could still have your separate categories and then just ensure that they add up to be your 60/40 split.  For example, notebook checks is 10% and (making up other categories for you) homework is 20%, presentations is 15%, and discussions is 15% so together that is the 60% for formatives. Then your test/quizzes can be 40% for summatives. Just a thought for a work around so you do not need to focus on points.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post