New Quiz Report Delay

Jump to solution
JakeBerry
Community Member

Hello, I am an Instructional Designer for my college's Canvas instance. In our adoption of New Quizzes, we have run up against the issue of reporting for New Quizzes taking "up to 24 hours." If this were merely the outlier, it would be one thing, but the reporting seems to take many hours in even simple test cases. This is a problem for us, as it makes difficult or impossible some of our instructors' previous methodologies.

In my research, I have come to the following conclusions:

It seems that this 24h delay on New Quiz analytics has been an ongoing issue since 2020, with users reporting its continued existence as recently as June/July. This led me to other topics and the conclusion that this is a known issue and is planned to be touched as part of Canvas Data 2. With CD2, they seem to be planning to lower the New Quiz data reporting from 24h to <4h. According to a post on July 1st, CD2 is set to open beta to interested Canvas customers by the end of October 2022.

Can anyone confirm/deny the above information? If there are any additional details relevant to dealing with this issue which I have missed, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@JakeBerry This is my understanding but there may be pieces I am not aware (actually I am pretty sure there are). 

The reason for this 24 hour delay is that New Quizzes was built as an LTI and is not part of core Canvas.  This means that for reports to work, there has to be communication between the New Quiz server and Canvas which to lesson the load was set for the delay.  There were plans to get this shorter but since this has also been a fairly hot topic in the community, I think has put even more pressure on the NQ developers to address it.  I believe the developers are currently reaching out to users (would be the admins not directly to end instructors) of this data to gain more information about how it is being used to see how they can best address it.  For example, if people are accessing it through API vs the user interface, these would lead to different solutions.  I don't think that it is directly part of the Canvas Data 2 project but that is definitely an area I could be wrong about.  I do know it is being addressed and I for one am someone who uses the information immediately following giving the exam (one of the many reasons I have not fully switched to NQ) and the delay makes that impossible.

Hope this helps some!

Nick

View solution in original post