cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powersz

Nightly import error

We have a process that runs nightly which sends our zipped csv files to Canvas.  It recently stopped working.  I am getting the error: ERROR: Could not send file to Canvas.  The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.    

I did put in a case (04992331), but there has been no response.  I am not sure on how to connect with support?  

4 Replies
robotcars
Community Champion

Hi  @powersz 

Is the process part of some code or application/service. Ie. is it something you can debug or something your software/vendor is delivering on your behalf?

If it's code, do you know what language or who supports it? The community Canvas Developers‌ can probably help if you can share your code somehow. Just make sure that if you have a developer token/api key (Authorization Bearer) that gets redacted from what you share. It would generally look something like a 2-5 digit number followed by a tilde~ and a long hash key.

On that note, a 401 Unauthorized - HTTP | MDN indicates that the client is unable to authenticate. If you are evaluating code, or whatever, double check that the API Token used for the task is still valid. That a user who initiated the task still has a valid account and the key hasn't been deleted. If this is the case, replace the key with one from a user who still has permissions for this scope, admin access to the instance.

bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Zoa,

Sounds like the user you had this process tied to and where the API token was generated may no longer have access / authorized to make #api‌ calls required to upload the #csv files‌.  Do you have this process tied to an account with #administrator‌ privileges still?

powersz

Thank you Brian and Robert.  The previous admin who set us up is no longer with us.  How do I check if the the API token is still valid?  How do I go about a new token if necessary? 

0 Kudos
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Zoa,

Is their account still active and have admin rights?  If not then they no longer have the correct access to and why you're receiving the unauthorized messaged. 

Here is documentation‌ about how to generate a new api access tokens‌.  (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10806-4214724194 ) Once you have the new #api access tokens‌ generated, replace the old one with the newly created token on an Admin account. This should correct the issue you're having.