cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkelnhofer
Community Member

Nook Emulator?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there is an application that will allow an instructor to embed a Nook formatted textbook into a course? #nook #bn 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Nook books are formatted using the ePub format.  The ability to "embed" one in a course would depend on the capabilities of the end-user's client (e.g. browser) I am aware of plugins for firefox and Chrome that can natively display ePubs, but you might run into issues with:

• mobile apps
  • Safari
  • Internet Explorer
  • Users who can't install plugins

Think of it similar to having to install Java or Flash player to view some content, it's not really a "Canvas" thing as much as it is a "browser" thing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @jkelnhofer  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  Your subject line indicates "emulator," which for some disciplines (such as the computer sciences) would mean the ability to emulate another operating system on, for example, a Windows- or Mac-based computer.  I am going to assume that's probably  NOT what you want and instead just want a way to upload a Nook-formatted book into your course site so that students who do not have a Nook can read the material.

Assuming that's the general thing you are interested in, let me also caution you about copyright issues that this may certainly violate unless the publication is otherwise available in the public domain or you otherwise secured the rights to it. But now that I've removed my former librarian's hat, to directly answer your question there are several programs available that will convert various eBook formats.  One that I  have used with moderate success in the past is calibre, which is available for free here:  calibre - E-book management   .  It does have a bit of a learning curve depending on how 100% accurately you want the text to appear, but I have (for example) converted an epub format into PDF using this specific software.

I hope this helps a bit and that I understood your question correctly.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

If the book is in the public domain, you will likely find it at Internet Archive, in which case there is embedding provided by Internet Archive that you can use... although to be honest, given the limited real estate we control on the Canvas screen, students are probably better served by reading at the Internet Archive site so they can have bigger font, bigger illustrations.

I have an example of embedded Internet Archive books here:

LibriVox: Laura PAINTs Canvas 

Although if it is a textbook, I suspect it is not in the public domain and for copyright reasons, like  @kblack  said, you won't be able to display the contents to your students.

dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Nook books are formatted using the ePub format.  The ability to "embed" one in a course would depend on the capabilities of the end-user's client (e.g. browser) I am aware of plugins for firefox and Chrome that can natively display ePubs, but you might run into issues with:

• mobile apps
  • Safari
  • Internet Explorer
  • Users who can't install plugins

Think of it similar to having to install Java or Flash player to view some content, it's not really a "Canvas" thing as much as it is a "browser" thing.

View solution in original post