Offering a choice of questions in quizzes

Jump to solution
Carmen_H
Community Member

I'd like to give students a choice of 6 questions where they only need to answer 4 (allowing them to answer to their strengths). 

Is there a way to do this in Canvas?

Just to be clear, I don't want it to randomly assign 4 of the 6 questions (like an item bank or question group). I want students to see all 6, answer 4, and not be penalized for not answering 2 of the questions. 

Ideas?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
chadscott
Community Contributor

Howdy,

I would do this with a file upload or Google Assignments assignment. Put the questions in a document and in the instructions in the assignment, tell them to answer 4/6. I'd repeat this in the document as well. Then I would attach a rubric to the assignment and use that to grade. (Can build a rubric in Google Assignments as well).

Another option would be to make a 7th question (first one) with "what questions will you answer?" or something and make it 100 pts. All other 6 questions will be 0 pts. You can attach a rubric to the quiz as well to score it. This would really only be doable for essay/file upload questions I think without testing it out though.

Cheers,
Chad Scott

View solution in original post