Peer Review List Inaccurate

Jump to solution
geniese_stanfor
Community Novice

I have set Canvas to automatically assign peer reviews. When I look at the Peer Review page, it shows that the student has not completed the assigned peer review.  When I look at the full Discussion thread, I see that the student has done a peer review which shows up as a reply in the discussion thread.  When I look at the Discussion post for the assigned student in Speedgrader, the Peer Review comment does not show up in the comments on the right side of the screen.  Why is the Peer Review page inaccurate?  Is it because the student assigned the peer review did it as a reply versus responding to the peer review to do?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @geniese_stanfor  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You are correct; to complete a peer review of a discussion, the students must complete the review through a comment by following these instructions: How do I submit a peer review to a discussion?  It is NOT part of the discussion, exactly. [Personal opinion coming...] This is a big reason why I think discussion peer reviews can be incredibly confusing for students, who are used to replying in Discussions and little else.  While peer reviews of file submissions (assignments, not discussions) can likewise be a bit tricky, I think the student "gets" the general idea that this is all done in private, since it's a file submission and they therefore commenting on something that is otherwise private.  With discussions, they are more used to everything being public. 

As I often say to my own faculty, I highly recommend that any instructor doing a peer review assignment in Canvas provides links to the student documentation to help ensure students understand the full process in what is often a rather unique assignment for them.  (In most cases.)  That's not to say they will necessarily read it, of course, but it will at least help clarify the process if questions come up.

I hope this helps a bit, Geniese!

View solution in original post

0 Likes